My Current Job Description
This is the official job description of my current position. I am including it to give you an idea of what I am currently doing as the Manager of Information and Technology / Senior Systems Administrator at Blackhawk Church in Madison, WI.
Title: Information Technology Manager
Reports to: Director of Operations
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Value to the team: You are all-things-IT. As an integral part of our staff team, you ensure that technology supports ministry. Your expertise in IT ensures an outstanding technology environment at Blackhawk so that – whenever and wherever possible – technology isn’t a barrier to ministry.
Network Engineering & Systems Administration
- Oversee, configure and maintain Blackhawk’s servers, telecommunications and network infrastructure.
- Ensure proper and timely network and systems updates, performance and security.
- Design and direct planning and acquisition of telecommunication services and internet services.
- Evaluate, implement and manage third-party hosted (SASS) solutions used by the organization.
- Update and maintain content on Church Management and Office 365 Sharepoint sites
- Support and improve the Blackhawk IT “Work Anywhere, Work Anytime” data access and email philosophy.
- Strategically plan IT capabilities that support existing and new strategies and initiatives for Blackhawk Church ministries.
- Identify third party providers to assist in the implementation of IT projects as needed.
- Work with internal organizations and third-party integrators to implement and manage the successful implementation of IT projects.
- Create and manage yearly IT budget including all expenses for hardware, software and services.
- Oversee, purchase, configure and maintain operating systems, computers and software applications.
- Oversee the purchase and maintenance of all installed desktop, server and network related equipment.
- Ensure technical problems are resolved promptly with minimal user impact.
- Ability to diagnose, troubleshoot and solve problems for remote users.
- Implement administrative systems to monitor, log and track technical problems, user issues and desktop hardware.
- Provide user training in one-on-one and group settings.
- Define and document procedures and policies.
- Serve as an active member of the Church Management System (ChMS) Team as the team’s IT expert, ensuring the technical and infrastructure aspects of our ChMS are supported and maintained (both in software and hardware).
- Supervise any Information Technology staff and volunteers.
- Advise on technical matters, project priorities and organization objectives in IT or alongside Communication, Technical Arts or other ministries.
- Develop and maintain vendor relationships and related contracts.
- Develop and maintain relationships with IT volunteers.
Qualifications & Skills
- Stable, mature, growing disciple of Jesus Christ, committed to the values of Blackhawk Church
- Experience in network administration of a Windows-based server environment
- Exhibit a spirit of joy and helpfulness
- Self-initiator, responsible, flexible, problem-solver, team player, high-energy
- Exercise mature and independent judgment with confidentiality and tact
- Learner, who continually grows IT knowledge
- Outstanding research and learning skills. A natural curiosity to find out “why”.
- Ability to work flexible hours, to be on-call and travel to our remote sites (Downtown Madison and Fitchburg) as needed.
- Highly organized with a system to track, document and share knowledge.
Technical Qualification and Demonstrated Ability and Skills
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Windows 10
- Server 2016
- Linux Systems Administration
- WordPress Administration and Hosting
- Cisco iOS for switch maintenance and configuration changes
- Office365 Administration, local and cloud-based applications
- Cisco BE6000 / Cisco Unified Communications Manager / Cisco Unity
- Office365 Sharepoint (Groups and Team Sites)
- Ability to walk on water
- SQL / SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) / SQL Server Management Studio
- SQL programming
- HTML / CSS
- Exchange Server Maintenance and email delivery troubleshooting
- Programming to REST API interfaces (e.g. for Twilio and Mandrill and Ministry Platform)